Tuesday, February 8, 2011

No Backsplash, Am I Wrong?

Our bathroom reno was severely delayed due to the snowpocalypse going on in Dallas. We're expecting more tomorrow, methinks it will get delayed again. It's a bunch of suck!

One if the recent decisions I made was to have no backsplash around our sinks. We have a six inche backsplash with a pencil trim made of marble going around the tub. I had originally planned to have the same thing around our sinks. But after some difficulty making it look right around the tub I decided to nix the ones around the sinks. There are some very awkward angles in our bathroom and I prefer not to make them stand out even more with awkward tiling. I just really strived for clean lines in the reno so I killed the ones around the sink.

The only thing is, my mother and several other people almost recoiled in horror upon hearing this news. Reasoning with me that the wall would get ruined and wet. But I disagree. It's a bathroom sink, not a kitchen sink. I don't do anything splashy in my bathroom sink. I don't even wash my face there, I do it in the shower. Plus I thought that not having a back splash would make it look more modern. It would make the sink appear more like a piece of furniture than a sink.

Then I began to search for images. It was hard. If there wasn't a trued back splash then the wall behind the sink was tiled. I began to feel anxious. I managed to find a few examples however...












So my question to you is, am I wrong?

Photobucket

7 comments:

Krystal {Blue Ribbon} said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with not putting backsplash in a bathroom! Actually, I don't think it would even cross my mind... it would look nice, but look at all those beautiful pictures you posted without any? Gorgeous! (plus, it IS a pain to work with so many angles...especially with tile!)

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

We are not doing backaplash either in fact both bathrooms have no backsplash. I personally don't care for it since like you said there will be no splashing. I think its fine.

Anonymous said...

None of the bathrooms in my house have a backsplash and the walls are fine, so I dont think your wrong.

Unknown said...

You're totally not wrong- so not a major issue. I don't even have a backsplash in my kitchen at the moment and it's honestly not a big deal at all- I'd like one but my wall is no where close to being ruined by water. I totally agree that in your case, no backsplash is better.

Kaye said...

You don't need no "steenking backsplashes" have what you want!

Zee said...

I really like to no back splash idea. The sink looks fantastic on its own.

DiAnna said...

I am currently having the exact same dilema you had back in February I see. Just so happens I was trying to google to find the answer. Even though it won't be used too often, I have a half bath off my kitchen that not only needs a very difficult to find tiny little vanity...but will not have a backsplash unless I can think of a solution in the next few days. What did you end up doing? How is it working out? I don't do splashy things either but was more concerned about when people have wet hands and turn off the water.