Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What I've Been Up To

I've mentioned before on this blog how I have been a dancer my whole life. It's something I hope will always be a part of my life.

Earlier this year I made a goal. I get really determined when I set out to do something. That goal was to get into pole dancing and enter a competition. I didn't know if I would make it to the final round, if I could even do it, if I even had the strength.

Last weekend I realized that goal and competed in Miss Texas Pole Star.


I had to work hard, like really hard to get there.

First I had to practice. I practiced 3 or 4 times a week since January. Before then I hadn't done pole in about three years. And even when I did do it before it was very casually.

Then I had to choreograph and perform my first ever routine, film it, and submit it for consideration. I entered in the Fitness category, which was for level 4 and up girls.

                             

It was really hard to gain the strength and stamina, not to mention choreograph, a whole routine.

28 girls submitted videos, 12 were chosen as finalists to ultimately compete and I was one of them!

Since August 1st I have been training almost 6 days a week almost 2 hours a day on my routine. I've suffered multiple injuries, so many doubts in myself and my ability to do this. I had a lot of support from friends and family, without which I would not have made it. But ultimately, I was in the studio alone all those hours. Other competitors had comrades competing alongside them where I did not. I think that was one of the hardest things.

But I did it. I got on stage in front of a ballroom filled with people and did my first ever performance.

I DID IT!




I didn't win and thats ok. I am very happy with my performance but watching the other girls, including the professionals, showed me how far I still have to go.

I also had to completely teach myself how to use a spinner pole in the last month. Fighting against centrifugal force while holding your knees to your face is no easy feat, but I did that too.


So here it is. Almost 10 months, two bruised ribs, a torn lat, a pulled pec, a strained hamstring and countless amounts of bruises later. This is what I worked for!

I hope you like it...
Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok 2 words. Freakin. Hot! Oh, and congratulations! That is such a major accomplishment. My Bestie and I have been wanting to take pole dancing classes for years, actually. It's so seductive, yet hard as hell at the same time. I'm happy you were able to accomplish such a big goal.

Sarah Greenman said...

Wow. Just fantastic - all around. You are amazing and GORGEOUS out there. What a feat. Congrats! xo